Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Photographs rediscovered: Olympic Games, Melbourne, 1956


In my post for last Saturday (10 January) I mentioned discovering, among a box of photographs, two pictures of the opening or closing ceremonies at the 16th Olympic Games in Melbourne (taken either on 22 November or 8 December, 1956). Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing for certain that my father was the photographer, however, as I mentioned in the earlier post I have a vague childhood memory of him telling me once that he did go to the games.

The first picture shows the South African team, while the second shows another team passing in front of a police or military marching band; in the second shot the clock on the stand opposite gives the time as 3:55 pm. The two shots partially overlap indicating that they were taken from the same position in the stadium.

The original black and white pictures are 3 x 5 inches (7.7 x 12.7 cm) in size and are un-inscribed; click on the images to see enlarged versions.

No comments: